Topics

Five point closures and a pair of pop-up cycle lanes

Jean Dollimore

By the middle of the last week, Camden completed  Phase 1 of their Covid-19 response by building point closures in Sandall Road, Constantine Road, Wilmot Place, Clarence Way and Hartland Road as well as pop-up lanes in Goodsway.

See here for the post on our website:

http://camdencyclists.org.uk/2020/05/five-road-closures-and-a-pair-of-pop-up-cycle-lanes/

Jean

seymour susan

Really pleased to see this. Well done.
Susan

On Sat, 30 May 2020 at 18:00, Jean Dollimore <jean@...> wrote:
By the middle of the last week, Camden completed  Phase 1 of their Covid-19 response by building point closures in Sandall Road, Constantine Road, Wilmot Place, Clarence Way and Hartland Road as well as pop-up lanes in Goodsway.

http://camdencyclists.org.uk/2020/05/five-road-closures-and-a-pair-of-pop-up-cycle-lanes/

Jean

--
Best wishes

Susan Seymour
twitter: @sseymour137

Steven Edwards

Yes these are a great start.

Particularly pleased with Constantine & Sandall.

Amazing the difference a bollard makes!

Steven

On 30 May 2020, at 18:14, seymour susan <sseymour137@...> wrote:

Really pleased to see this. Well done.
Susan

On Sat, 30 May 2020 at 18:00, Jean Dollimore <jean@...> wrote:

Jean

--
Best wishes

Susan Seymour
twitter: @sseymour137

Simon Pearson

Hi Jean

In your photo of Sandall Road the plastic barrier on the railway side is enclosing a manhole cover broken by a vehicle evading the closure by driving on the pavement.  I have also witnessed a car evading the closure on the school side by driving on the cycle bypass.  A tight fit but passable.  I have informed Camden of both.  I suspect it’s also happening at Wilmot Place.  Incredible.

Simon

From: main@camdencyclists.groups.io [mailto:main@camdencyclists.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jean Dollimore
Sent: 30 May 2020 18:00
To: CCC <CamdenCyclists@groups.io>
Subject: [camdencyclists] Five point closures and a pair of pop-up cycle lanes

Jean

John Chamberlain

I spoke to officers in Camden earlier - they are aware of people doing this in some of the locations and will be installing more bollards. Meanwhile if people can safely take photos that would be helpful.

Regards

John

On 30/05/20 21:22, Simon Pearson wrote:

Hi Jean

In your photo of Sandall Road the plastic barrier on the railway side is enclosing a manhole cover broken by a vehicle evading the closure by driving on the pavement.  I have also witnessed a car evading the closure on the school side by driving on the cycle bypass.  A tight fit but passable.  I have informed Camden of both.  I suspect it’s also happening at Wilmot Place.  Incredible.

Simon

From: main@camdencyclists.groups.io [mailto:main@camdencyclists.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jean Dollimore
Sent: 30 May 2020 18:00
To: CCC <CamdenCyclists@groups.io>
Subject: [camdencyclists] Five point closures and a pair of pop-up cycle lanes

Jean

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Richard Fletcher

Great progress so far.  Thanks to all concerned. Given the number of schools in Hampstead there seems to be a pressing need for measures there before September. Are there any plans for that area?….arguments being. #1 the narrow streets #2 the number of pupils and schools #3 the amount of stationary traffic #4. deter the school run. 

Thanks

Richard

On 30 May 2020, at 21:39, John Chamberlain <john@...> wrote:

I spoke to officers in Camden earlier - they are aware of people doing this in some of the locations and will be installing more bollards. Meanwhile if people can safely take photos that would be helpful.

Regards
John 

Hi Jean

Simon

From: main@camdencyclists.groups.io [mailto:main@camdencyclists.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jean Dollimore
Sent: 30 May 2020 18:00
To: CCC <CamdenCyclists@groups.io>
Subject: [camdencyclists] Five point closures and a pair of pop-up cycle lanes

Jean

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Steven Edwards

I passed through Sandall Rd this afternoon and additional plastic barriers had been attached - not overly secure
- some moved by pedestrians perhaps - but enough to deter footway mounting motorists until something a bit more permanent goes in?

Steven

Regards
John 

Hi Jean

Simon

From: main@camdencyclists.groups.io [mailto:main@camdencyclists.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jean Dollimore

Jean

Steven Edwards

I would suggest until the next batch of measures go in, keeping up the suggestions on Commonplace -
being specific re schools & narrow pavements.

If you can recommend area wide measures - it can only reinforce any intentions Camden has for various
forms of low traffic neighbourhoods (LTNs).

eg. Look for particular point closures at the 'boundary” of an area that may reduce the need for several local ones.

Sandall Road is a good example.

I also suggest considering the borough as a whole, and where through traffic can be minimised, diverted onto boundary
routes designed to carry larger traffic volumes.

It’s also good to let councillors know how great it is to cycle without the weight of excessive caution (or would/could be),
and how much more appealing to ride, the existing infra makes it.

Then when you’ve done that…

to help Islington’s cycling network take shape - and firm up those routes crossing from Camden.

Be bold!

And ask others to do the same for both boroughs 

Steven 

On 31 May 2020, at 07:11, Richard Fletcher <rickyfletch@...> wrote:

Great progress so far.  Thanks to all concerned. Given the number of schools in Hampstead there seems to be a pressing need for measures there before September. Are there any plans for that area?….arguments being. #1 the narrow streets #2 the number of pupils and schools #3 the amount of stationary traffic #4. deter the school run. 

Thanks

Richard

Regards
John 

Hi Jean

Simon

Jean