Cycling suggestion help

Elena Moynihan

Good morning all,

I need a bit of help with a cycling suggestion please ! 

My grand-daughter is 18 months and we would love to take her on a cycling trip locally.  However, the directive is that we must never be sharing the road with cars ;-)

So basically I am looking for a fully segregated cycling loop or route that is not too long, and that can be reached easily either by car ( we have a great bike rack) or by overground trains where we can bring our bikes ( i.e. the North London line )

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance !
Elena

James Brander

Hi Elena,
Richmond Park? There's a complete cycle circuit (off-road, gravel surface) and most of the tarmac roads are closed to traffic.
You'd have to drive to Roehampton Gate, which would take a while.
The deer are good there too.
Have fun.
James Brander

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021, 07:57 Elena, <elena.moynihan@...> wrote:
Good morning all,

My grand-daughter is 18 months and we would love to take her on a cycling trip locally.  However, the directive is that we must never be sharing the road with cars ;-)

So basically I am looking for a fully segregated cycling loop or route that is not too long, and that can be reached easily either by car ( we have a great bike rack) or by overground trains where we can bring our bikes ( i.e. the North London line )

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance !
Elena

Tony Raven

Queen Elizabeth (Olympic) Park which is a short walk from Hackney Wick or Stratford stations and is nice and flat?

-- 
Tony

Apologies for any typos; sent from my iPad

On 5 Oct 2021, at 07:57, Elena <elena.moynihan@...> wrote:

Good morning all,

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance !
Elena

Martin Nelson

Hi Elena,

Agree with James: Overground to Richmond, and you can reach the Park without a car offroad via the towpath to Ham.

Further afield, other offroad routes are to be found at Cycle Orbital; notably Epping, Windsor Great Park and Jubilee River, Lee Valley, Hertfordshire Lost Rails, Thames Path at Woolwich...

The system works as rail-assisted, but other means of travel are available…

Cheers

Martin

Websites:

Personal

Cycle Orbital

A picture containing drawing

Description automatically generated

Hi Elena,

Richmond Park? There's a complete cycle circuit (off-road, gravel surface) and most of the tarmac roads are closed to traffic.

You'd have to drive to Roehampton Gate, which would take a while.

The deer are good there too.

Have fun.

James Brander

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021, 07:57 Elena, <elena.moynihan@...> wrote:

Good morning all,

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance !

Elena

This e-mail may contain information which is confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright protected. This e-mail is intended for the addressee only. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer

Jean Dollimore

Yes, I agree. If you do choose the Olympic Park then I recommend the View Tube cafe for a place with outdoor seating and a light lunch/coffee etc. https://theviewtube.co.uk/

I would use Hackney Wick station which has lifts and is a very short walk to the River Lee canal towpath - make sure you go over the bridge before going down to the towpat..

Another time you could go the other way on the towpath to Hackney Marshes and the waterworks nature reserve or if you’re feeling energetic continue through Waltamstow Marshes to Waltamstow  Wetlands.

Jean

On 5 Oct 2021, at 09:03, Tony Raven <tony@...> wrote:

Queen Elizabeth (Olympic) Park which is a short walk from Hackney Wick or Stratford stations and is nice and flat?

-- 
Tony

Good morning all,

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance !
Elena

Elena Moynihan

My goodness guys, thank you very much, so many great suggestions !  Will do them all !

Put the first one in the calendar for Saturday ( weather permitting ) - got a nice sturdy bike seat for her, let's hope she enjoys !

Thank you again
Elena

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 14:43, Jean Dollimore <jean@...> wrote:
Yes, I agree. If you do choose the Olympic Park then I recommend the View Tube cafe for a place with outdoor seating and a light lunch/coffee etc. https://theviewtube.co.uk/

I would use Hackney Wick station which has lifts and is a very short walk to the River Lee canal towpath - make sure you go over the bridge before going down to the towpat..

Another time you could go the other way on the towpath to Hackney Marshes and the waterworks nature reserve or if you’re feeling energetic continue through Waltamstow Marshes to Waltamstow  Wetlands.

Jean

-- 
Tony

Good morning all,

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance !
Elena

James Brander

Hallo again Elena,
As Hackney Wick now has lifts, you could use that station to reach Victoria Park. Very close to the station is a ramped footbridge over the Black wall Tunnel access road, which leads directly to the Cadogan Gate entry to the park. I think you turn right as you leave the station and it's a few yards on a back road.
Add that to your list.
Best wishes
James Brander

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021, 08:59 Elena, <elena.moynihan@...> wrote:
My goodness guys, thank you very much, so many great suggestions !  Will do them all !

Put the first one in the calendar for Saturday ( weather permitting ) - got a nice sturdy bike seat for her, let's hope she enjoys !

Thank you again
Elena

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 14:43, Jean Dollimore <jean@...> wrote:

Jean

-- 
Tony

Good morning all,

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance !
Elena