Sent: 2001Äê8ÔÂ9ÈÕ 20:14 ÏÂÎç
Subject: [CCC] Bar-otomy

One of the great things about travelling by bike is the amazing repertoire of new experiences waiting to be enjoyed.

A first for me tonight was my aluminium handlebar snapping (just at the point it meets the stem bracket) on my Brompton folding bike. I had no warning that it was going to fail. Fortunately I was travelling at low speed, having just joined Royal College Street from the canal towpath. A conveniently parked car enabled me to come to rest and remain upright.
If it had happened 30 seconds earlier and I would have fallen into the canal.

Has anyone else experienced any major bike failures which could (or did) have serious consequences?

Paul

P.S. Don't forget our monthly meeting is this coming Monday at 7.30 pm, Castlehaven Community Centre.

Adrian Peter Toole <adrian@...>

Well I had a crank break on a bicycle in Holland. I'd cycled all day and
was up north somewhere near the dike across the Ijsselmeer. I had just
been saying ' How easy it is to cycle in Holland; see 100km no problem',
when crack and the thing fell to pieces.
No roadside repairers there, but when I finally got it back to the
station where I'd hired it, the repairer said 'It's one of those cheap
Chinese ones.' but still wanted to keep my deposit!

In message <008c01c121a8$79532900$7a7c7bd5@btopenworld.com>, Roger Mason
<roger.mason@btinternet.com> writes
I had a crank (to be more accurate, two in succession) that failed
on my Chinese bike.  While I was riding along a busy street in
Peking a pedal suddenly stopped turning the front sprocket.
I reached the roadside by judiciously pressing on the other good
pedal, while scores of Chinese rode past impassively.  Breakdowns
are apparently quite frequent.  Whacking the cotter pin (remember
them?) did no good because the hole in the crank had enlarged, so
a roadside repairer put on a new one for the equivalent of £1, an
exorbitant price.  It only just lasted until I got home where my
friendly local repairer replaced it with a good one for less
money.  There are lots of roadside repairers who hang spare parts,
tyres and inner tubes on a tree or lampost to advertise, so I could
point to what I needed.  I was unlucky to encounter a rip-off
merchant.

Roger Mason

PS I shall be in China again from 27 August to 11 January next
year.  I'll go on receiving the group E-mail.
One of the great things about travelling by bike is the amazing
repertoire of new experiences waiting to be enjoyed.
A first for me tonight was my aluminium handlebar snapping (just
at the point it meets the stem bracket) on my Brompton folding
bike. I had no warning that it was going to fail. Fortunately I
was travelling at low speed, having just joined Royal College
Street from the canal towpath. A conveniently parked car enabled
me to come to rest and remain upright.
If it had happened 30 seconds earlier and I would have fallen
into the canal.
Has anyone else experienced any major bike failures which could
(or did) have serious consequences?
Paul
P.S. Don't forget our monthly meeting is this coming Monday at
7.30 pm, Castlehaven Community Centre.

Yahoo! Terms of Service.

.
--