[NewsFromElswhere] round-up - LTNs, ARNs. SHNs. Discussion with Adam Harrison

Jean Dollimore

Here’s a quote from Steven’s latest ‘News from Elsewhere"

On 31 Oct 2021, at 01:24, Steven Edwards <stevenaedw@...> wrote:

I dislike the term “Low Traffic Neighbourhood”. It’s inaccurate – @ActiveTravelNet Twitter

October 31, 2021 By Steven Edwards 
Active Travel Neighbourhoods @ActiveTravelNet
I dislike the term “Low Traffic Neighbourhood”. It’s inaccurate. Walking & Cycling are forms of traffic and, ideally, we want to see them increase. The optimum is a higher volume of walking & cycling traffic. A high traffic neighbourhood of active travel. An ATN

If you joined our Zoom meeting on Monday, you will have heard the discussion with Adam Harrison. If you missed it, here’s a summary

You will see that while Camden calls them Safer and Healthy Streets we are calling them Safe & Healthy Neighbourhoods – a name that we think retains the idea of safety and health, yet distinguishes areas from roads.

Jean

Martin Nelson

Such a obvious terminology improvement, Stephen, hiding in plain sight. Brilliant.

I dislike the term “Low Traffic Neighbourhood”. It’s inaccurate – @ActiveTravelNet Twitter

I dislike the term “Low Traffic Neighbourhood”. It’s inaccurate. Walking & Cycling are forms of traffic and, ideally, we want to see them increase. The optimum is a higher volume of walking & cycling traffic. A high traffic neighbourhood of active travel. An ATN

Martin

PS: my pre-COP post might interest (if I may piggy-back), startle even:

https://martinnelson.co.uk/equinox/cop-26-a-timely-personal-perspective/

Martin

Websites:

Personal

Cycle Orbital

A picture containing drawing

Description automatically generated

This e-mail may contain information which is confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright protected. This e-mail is intended for the addressee only. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer

Tony Raven

It maybe needs a “for all” on the end - Safe and Healthy Neighbourhoods for All - to emphasis that it needs to be inclusive, not just for the few (in cars).

-- 
Tony

Apologies for any typos; sent from my iPad

On 31 Oct 2021, at 11:30, Jean Dollimore <jean@...> wrote:

Here’s a quote from Steven’s latest ‘News from Elsewhere"

On 31 Oct 2021, at 01:24, Steven Edwards <stevenaedw@...> wrote:

If you joined our Zoom meeting on Monday, you will have heard the discussion with Adam Harrison. If you missed it, here’s a summary

You will see that while Camden calls them Safer and Healthy Streets we are calling them Safe & Healthy Neighbourhoods – a name that we think retains the idea of safety and health, yet distinguishes areas from roads.

Jean