Euston Road cycle tracks #space4cycling


Linus
 

There are plans to remove the pop-up cycle tracks on Euston Road https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/euston-road-covid-cycle-lanes-removed-a4567221.html

The installation of these tracks between the Euston Underpass and St Pancras Station was a bold and welcome move by TfL. The tracks connect the West Euston and Regent's Park Estate Area with Somerstown, Kings Cross, and Bloomsbury neighbourhoods. The tracks link up with the Midland Road and Judd Street tracks and connect to the University sites around Gordon Square and to UCLH on Euston Road.

I personally use the westbound track when travelling between St Pancras Station and Gower Street. If they are removed, it will be a terrible loss for commuting cyclists in central London. What do you think we should do?

Linus


John Chamberlain
 

Linus is right - the proposal to remove the cycle tracks on Euston Road is hugely disappointing and we're afraid it will set a precedent. Here's a copy of an email we sent to the Mayor, Heidi Alexander, Will Norman and others at TfL. If anyone else would like to write then that would be great; you could cc this group also Adam Harrison (adam.harrison@...) the Camden cabinet member responsible. He has written a very strong letter to the same addressees. And LCC will be writing too.

What's even more aggravating is that HS2 will be taking a lane for years once work on the station area starts. And 2 lanes were taken during the Olympics...

Here's what we said:

"I am writing on behalf of Camden Cycling Campaign, the local borough group of London Cycling Campaign (LCC). We have over 400 members and we represent the interests of cyclists living or working in the Camden area as well as those travelling through.

I would like to register our strong opposition to the proposed removal of the cycle lanes on the Euston Road. The installation of these, along with the lanes on Hampstead Road, has made a huge difference to the safety and convenience of cyclists travelling along the east-west corridor. There is no other east-west route to the north for a mile and the nearest route to the south (in Tavistock Place, 350 metres away) involves a significant detour.

As well as the safety and amenity of cyclists, the lanes represent a significant step in reclaiming the road from the tyranny of the motor vehicle and send a strong message about TfL’s commitment to Active Travel. Further, the banning of turns onto side-streets, inherent in the scheme, has made a positive difference to the adjacent neighbourhoods by reducing rat-running traffic. The lanes have also made it safer and cleaner for pedestrians on the footways by separating them from polluting traffic and by making the side-streets safer to cross.

We are aware that there have been issues with connectivity for cyclists and also with displacement of motor traffic onto local roads, but these issues should be fixed rather than abandoning the scheme.

Please would you reconsider.  If you decide to go ahead, please keep the turn bans. As well as the positive effect on the adjacent neighbourhoods, these turns, especially the left turns, were notoriously dangerous for cyclists due to the risks of left-hooks. Also, as they are not fully signalised, they made it very difficult for pedestrians to cross the mouths of the side-streets.  It would be a great pity if these advantages were lost.

We also hope that you can take the opportunity to reaffirm your commitment to provision of new routes for active travel on TfL roads including the proposed Holborn to Waterloo and Holborn to Old Street corridors.

Thank you."

 


John Chamberlain

 

On 12/10/20 12:55, Linus Yahoo wrote:
There are plans to remove the pop-up cycle tracks on Euston Road https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/euston-road-covid-cycle-lanes-removed-a4567221.html

The installation of these tracks between the Euston Underpass and St Pancras Station was a bold and welcome move by TfL. The tracks connect the West Euston and Regent's Park Estate Area with Somerstown, Kings Cross, and Bloomsbury neighbourhoods. The tracks link up with the Midland Road and Judd Street tracks and connect to the University sites around Gordon Square and to UCLH on Euston Road.

I personally use the westbound track when travelling between St Pancras Station and Gower Street. If they are removed, it will be a terrible loss for commuting cyclists in central London. What do you think we should do?

Linus


Linus
 

Thanks John. Excellent letter. I'll write to Mayor et al as you suggest. I'll also write to Keir Starmer my MP. 


Mustafa Arif
 

It’s extremely disappointing. Reasoning given by TfL from the article:

 

“We appreciate the challenges for buses and freight on Euston Road, which our lengthy monitoring of the area has highlighted. We have also not seen the same high increases in cycling on this stretch as in other areas.

 

A couple of things come to mind:

 

Firstly, is anyone aware of any data to support the “challenges for busses and freight” and, as John alludes, shouldn’t the current reallocation of space be used to get ready for the loss of capacity during the HS2 works?

 

Secondly, the reason they haven’t seen “the same high increases” is because it’s just an isolated stretch of cycle lane. They should have been bolder and continually extended it to cover a decent route – either an E-W corridor, linking up with existing superhighways, or else a continuous cycle lane along the “Inner Ring Road”. The Park Lane cycle lane referred to is vulnerable for exactly the same reason.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Linus Yahoo
Sent: 12 October 2020 13:28
To: main@camdencyclists.groups.io
Subject: [camdencyclists] Euston Road cycle tracks #space4cycling

 

There are plans to remove the pop-up cycle tracks on Euston Road https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/euston-road-covid-cycle-lanes-removed-a4567221.html

The installation of these tracks between the Euston Underpass and St Pancras Station was a bold and welcome move by TfL. The tracks connect the West Euston and Regent's Park Estate Area with Somerstown, Kings Cross, and Bloomsbury neighbourhoods. The tracks link up with the Midland Road and Judd Street tracks and connect to the University sites around Gordon Square and to UCLH on Euston Road.

I personally use the westbound track when travelling between St Pancras Station and Gower Street. If they are removed, it will be a terrible loss for commuting cyclists in central London. What do you think we should do?

Linus

 


Steven Edwards
 

In agreement there.

It might be said that even now, many schemes can still suffer from the same piecemeal approach
that has been to the detriment of several schemes for years.

Will Norman should really be on the case here for extending & expanding and making links.

A general rule of thumb ought to be NEVER to remove any  existing infra for cycling - just to improve it
by connecting it as Mustafa suggests, to exiting stuff elsewhere..

(ok..I know there are consultations for ETOs…but...).

We really have to keep up the pressure against single-occupancy/2 mile trips too.

Any removal of major schemes undermines the case for infra elsewhere & is hugely dis-spiriting.

Steven 

 


On 12 Oct 2020, at 22:59, Mustafa Arif <mustafa@...> wrote:

they haven’t seen “the same high increases” is because it’s just an isolated stretch of cycle lane. They should have been bolder and continually extended it to cover a decent route – either an E-W corridor, linking up with ex


Paul Gannon
 

I agree with what you & Mustafa say, however I'd recommend trying not to find it dispiriting. The cycle lobby in London has made tremendous strides in the past 5 years and these relatively minor setbacks should be seen in that context. It certainly is a shame to see such backward steps, but a continuous move forward is unlikely in a place as diverse as London with multiple power centres in govt, mayor, boroughs, political parties. I see it as you win some, you lose some. As long as we win more than we lose, progress is being made,
Paul


From: main@camdencyclists.groups.io <main@camdencyclists.groups.io> on behalf of Steven Edwards <stevenaedw@...>
Sent: 13 October 2020 12:34
To: main@camdencyclists.groups.io <main@camdencyclists.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [camdencyclists] Euston Road cycle tracks #space4cycling
 
In agreement there.

It might be said that even now, many schemes can still suffer from the same piecemeal approach
that has been to the detriment of several schemes for years.

Will Norman should really be on the case here for extending & expanding and making links.

A general rule of thumb ought to be NEVER to remove any  existing infra for cycling - just to improve it
by connecting it as Mustafa suggests, to exiting stuff elsewhere..

(ok..I know there are consultations for ETOs…but...).

We really have to keep up the pressure against single-occupancy/2 mile trips too.

Any removal of major schemes undermines the case for infra elsewhere & is hugely dis-spiriting.

Steven 

 


On 12 Oct 2020, at 22:59, Mustafa Arif <mustafa@...> wrote:

they haven’t seen “the same high increases” is because it’s just an isolated stretch of cycle lane. They should have been bolder and continually extended it to cover a decent route – either an E-W corridor, linking up with ex


David Filer
 

I am a bit confused about this thread. Wasn't the cycle track always supposed to be temporary given that at some point HS2 world require the space for construction? Given that it would never have become permanent cycle infrastructure perhaps it is worth advocating for different routes rather that protecting Euston Road for a little longer?

Either way, I will be sad to see it go and will have to change my route accordingly.

David

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020, 13:44 Paul Gannon, <paultbgannon@...> wrote:
I agree with what you & Mustafa say, however I'd recommend trying not to find it dispiriting. The cycle lobby in London has made tremendous strides in the past 5 years and these relatively minor setbacks should be seen in that context. It certainly is a shame to see such backward steps, but a continuous move forward is unlikely in a place as diverse as London with multiple power centres in govt, mayor, boroughs, political parties. I see it as you win some, you lose some. As long as we win more than we lose, progress is being made,
Paul


From: main@camdencyclists.groups.io <main@camdencyclists.groups.io> on behalf of Steven Edwards <stevenaedw@...>
Sent: 13 October 2020 12:34
To: main@camdencyclists.groups.io <main@camdencyclists.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [camdencyclists] Euston Road cycle tracks #space4cycling
 
In agreement there.

It might be said that even now, many schemes can still suffer from the same piecemeal approach
that has been to the detriment of several schemes for years.

Will Norman should really be on the case here for extending & expanding and making links.

A general rule of thumb ought to be NEVER to remove any  existing infra for cycling - just to improve it
by connecting it as Mustafa suggests, to exiting stuff elsewhere..

(ok..I know there are consultations for ETOs…but...).

We really have to keep up the pressure against single-occupancy/2 mile trips too.

Any removal of major schemes undermines the case for infra elsewhere & is hugely dis-spiriting.

Steven 

 


On 12 Oct 2020, at 22:59, Mustafa Arif <mustafa@...> wrote:

they haven’t seen “the same high increases” is because it’s just an isolated stretch of cycle lane. They should have been bolder and continually extended it to cover a decent route – either an E-W corridor, linking up with ex