Topics

[CCC] Re: #TaviPlace Marchmont St Junction #taviplace

John Chamberlain

Nice example from Andrea and I agree with the points made. My main reason for wondering if the zebra on Marchmont might have to be set back is to give cyclists somewhere to wait. But definitely worth discussing, along with the idea of a green wave.
John Chamberlain

On 03/02/16 21:34, Andrea Casalotti casalotti@... [CamdenCyclingCampaign] wrote:

OK, let's put it this way:
1. If this was only a cycling and walking street, there would most likely be no need of traffic lights; it is true that pedestrian traffic may be heavy sometimes, but no more than say in front of UCL, where zebras work well. Moreover, because of traffic lights at Woburn Place and Judd Street, cycle traffic comes in waves and often pedestrians will be waiting for a wave to subside, which is more efficient than waiting for a green man
2. The overwhelming majority of motor traffic goes W-E straight on Tavistock Place, so the zebra mentioned above is sufficient.
3. Cycle and motor traffic on Marchmont Street is likely have to wait less time with an unsignalled junction than with the present arrangement, again because of the wavey nature of cycle and motor traffic on Tavistock Place.

In other words, it is not "dangerous conflict"; it can easily be negotiated by all road users. If one feels that motor traffic travels too fast on Tavistock Place, some width restrictions can be put before the junction, as exist further East.

It is a good experiment to run.

Talking about traffic lights, is the Council exploring the issue of timing the lights so that there is a green wave E-W in the morning and W-E in the evening, for people cycling at 15-20km/hr?

BTW, it is not true that zebras cannot be set flush with street corners. See here for instance: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5199191,-0.1517996,3a,75y,73.78h,59.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siKbLBg-ypirUUU9xBc5iEg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Regards,

Andrea Casalotti
077 2788 3475

Paul Gannon

Re pedestrian crossings - I can recall 15 plus years ago that the then cycling officer (who is best not named) said it was against regulations to have a zebra crossing flush with junctions - I pointed to two examples I could think of immediately in Camden, on Tottenham Court Rd (can't now recall the name of the junction) & on York Way (Copenhagen St junction IIRC) & there are many more examples dotted around the streets of London,

Paul