Topics

[CCC] #TaviPlace Marchmont St Junction #taviplace

John Chamberlain

In other words turn it into a 'priority' junction (Give Way)? I am not sure the lights are completely redundant as there is conflicting movement but I think it might work because the southbound flow on Marchmont street is low.  It would improve the flow on Tavistock Place for cyclists and other traffic but I think it might make it more difficult for cyclists to exit Marchmont turning right as they will have to look out for two streams of cycles and one of motors.

There may also be issues with the pedestrian crossings, which may have to be moved back from the junction if they are turned into zebras, but we can certainly ask Camden to look at it. There is also the point that zebras give pedestrians more priority and when footfall is high, this may reduce the cycle capacity.

What do others think? If we want it we would probably suggest it as part of the measures if the trial is made permanent (consultation on this in the summer).
John Chamberlain

On 01/02/16 23:26, Andrea Casalotti casalotti@... [CamdenCyclingCampaign] wrote:

The traffic lights are now redundant. The Council should obscure them and replace them with a zebra crossing on Tavistock Place and on the North side of Marchmont Street

Regards,

Andrea Casalotti
077 2788 3475

Angela Hobsbaum

I thought at first this sounded good. Then I cam along there this afternoon, westbound, and turned right from TaviPlace into Marchmont Street North. Apart from John's point about the distance that a zebra has to be set back from an intersection, if you were only going to have one zebra across Tavistock Place, which side of the junction would you have it? There are quite a lot of pedestrians here and they cross on both east and west sides of the junction.
At the moment, the traffic lights are quite useful in stopping oncoming traffic. I know this applies to all manoeuvres which cross the motor traffic and they aren't all light-controlled e.g. turning into Herbrand St.

John Hartley

I’m not at all keen that pedestrians should have to go out of their natural desire line (i.e. straight across from the corners) by use of zebra or other crossings.  For two reasons:

·        I would think that peds form the majority of movements at this junction and therefore should have the highest priority.

·        Most peds would not move from their desire line (as is evidenced by the fact that they used to cross at the corners, even when the lights crossing was a few feet away).

Perhaps when the trial is made permanent we could look at it becoming a calmed “shared space” junction, where peds and bikes get priority over motors.

John A Hartley
John@...
mobile:     +44 (0) 78 1782 2950

London Remembers

I thought at first this sounded good. Then I cam along there this afternoon, westbound, and turned right from TaviPlace into Marchmont Street North. Apart from John's point about the distance that a zebra has to be set back from an intersection, if you were only going to have one zebra across Tavistock Place, which side of the junction would you have it? There are quite a lot of pedestrians here and they cross on both east and west sides of the junction.

At the moment, the traffic lights are quite useful in stopping oncoming traffic. I know this applies to all manoeuvres which cross the motor traffic and they aren't all light-controlled e.g. turning into Herbrand St.

I'm not sure about the rules for positioning Zebras -we'd need to check.

John