Re: [CCC] Bar-otomy

Jane Boardman <boardmanjane@...>

i had a pedal crank snapping in the middle of the adelaide road/primrose hill cross roads some years ago. the motorists thoughtfully drove around me and an elderly west indian man 'walking out' with an equally elderly white woman raced at two miles an hour to assist me which was very heart warming. few bodily injuries but deep and lasting damage to my dignity. jane

on 9/8/01 7:14 pm, Paul Gasson at paulgasson@... wrote:

One of the great things about travelling by bike is the amazing repertoire of new experiences waiting to be enjoyed.

A first for me tonight was my aluminium handlebar snapping (just at the point it meets the stem bracket) on my Brompton folding bike. I had no warning that it was going to fail. Fortunately I was travelling at low speed, having just joined Royal College Street from the canal towpath. A conveniently parked car enabled me to come to rest and remain upright.
If it had happened 30 seconds earlier and I would have fallen into the canal.

Has anyone else experienced any major bike failures which could (or did) have serious consequences?

Paul

P.S. Don't forget our monthly meeting is this coming Monday at 7.30 pm, Castlehaven Community Centre.