Re: Consultation on South End Green

James Brander

Hi, As a regular user of this junction, I note the following:
The main cycle desire lines are to and from the Heath, via Fleet Road and East Heath Road, returning obviously on Constantine Road. The parking on Fleet Rd often introduces a pinch point, exacerbated by the excessive traffic speeds even outside the primary school, which it would be good to eliminate.
The complications I experience are from vehicles turning into Pond St and emerging from the north-western side lane. But traffic is usually so congested that there is little actual danger.

So, I would propose the following:
Relocate the 24 holding area to Fleet Road and shift the parking south to reduce carriageway width and traffic speeds on that road.
Relocate the 168 holding area to the South eastern side lane.
Divert all southbound traffic from East Heath Rd into the south eastern side lane.
Reduce the carriageway width past the public loo to create space for a two-way cycle lane.
Close, as proposed, the north western side lane to all but buses and cycles.

I'm sure these ideas will go down like the proverbial balloons, but there they are.
Yours in cycling,
James Brander

On Fri, 23 Sep 2022, 00:07 Richard Thomas, <richard@...> wrote:
Douglas - I think this looks great - Richard

On Thu, 22 Sept 2022 at 22:26, Douglas Schwab via groups.io <dhschwab=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi
I use the area as a cyclist and pedestrian and cyclist for decades. It is a mess and has been for many reworkings. How can such a peace backwater get so much confused traffic?

The new scheme is worse than existing for cyclist as there are turning areas on Fleet Road.

The existing pedestrian crossings are where pedestrians are (imo), just difficult for cars to race through.

Street cafes for Starbucks? I doubt they would financially commit to staffing outdoor tables.

Is a complete novice with a terrible dtrawing I add my naive proposal to join Fleet Road, the gents and the Park to be a singular green space. Hopefully this would be a fenced mini-woodland as the Heath is moments away but gets little view South End Green.

The intent is simplify lots of (historic) roads into simple junctions and offer a reason to do so, gaining park green space…and better for cyclists.

Bye for now

Douglas

On 22 Sep 2022, at 16:25, Jean Dollimore <jean@...> wrote:

Today’s CNJ had a full page article as well as a few letters about this consultation. The talk is all about the long-lived controversy as to where the 168 bus should ‘stand’.

The consultation is mainly about a proposal to close the slip road to motor vehicles, allowing two-way cycling and providing a streatery for some of the cafés.

It also includes proposals to improve the pedestrian crossings at the junction of Fleet Road/ Pond Street/South End Road/ Constantine Road (removing the island alnd allowing people to walk straight over)

So far, so good and I think we should support these proposals.

BUT: what about cycling?
- we gain a two-way route through a nicely closed slip road which avoids using the above mentioned junction. But turning right into the slip road is tricky: any ideas as to how to make it easier?

- improvements for cycling should be made at at the above mentioned junction:  is there room to put protected cycle lanes on the approaches, through the junction and on the exits?
(e.g. it would be nice to be able to go down South End Road and left into Constantine Road or turn left from Fleet Road into Pond Street without being cut it by drivers)

Please suggest ideas for me to include in our response.

I have summarised the details on our website here:

and you can go straight to the consultation on Camden’s website here: