Re: Consultation on South End Green

Elena Moynihan

I am here a lot both walking and cycling as it's very local.

Firstly, huge hurray that it's hopefully finally happening, we've been asking for this for a decade or more:  the usual super-vocal minority screaming and shouting against it for no apparent reason.

Regarding your points on cycling, all very valid, the only thing I would say is that these are very very busy roads:  heavy traffic down East Heath, and of course Pond St with the Hospital.  They are never going to be an oasis of peace :-) .  I don't have an answer about that junction but cycling down South End is always going to be trafficky I think, and I can't see how they can carve out cycle lanes, just not enough space.

What would be nice is if the strip of parking spaces that has been taken out since Covid ( we still have those plastic barriers in there) was made permanent, and that side of the road was made into a cycle lane, following on from the slip road:  what do people think ?

E.

On Thu, 22 Sept 2022 at 17:38, George Coulouris <coulouris@...> wrote:
This junction is important in the future of the Camden cycling network because it connects Pond Street to Constantine Road thus linking the Haverstock Hill route with the Savernake LTN and C6. And in future we hope up Willow Road to the Whitestone Pond.

Straight across from Pond Street to Constantine Road is always a challenge due to the number of motors converging on the junction from 3 directions and tussling to get into Pond street or Constantine. In practice priorities for motors are very unclear but at least the existing arrangement )below) has an island in the middle, linked with 2 zebras.

The new scheme diverts pedestrians from their desire lines and has turning vehicles stopping in the middle of the junction to turn into Pond St and Constantine Rd. I wouldn’t like to cycle through it with some vehicles waiting to turn and others going straight through:

I think we should object to that junction design.

George

On 22 Sep 2022, at 16:24, Jean Dollimore <jean@...> wrote:

(e.g. it would be nice to be able to go down South End Road and left into Constantine Road or turn left from Fleet Road into Pond Street without being cut it by drivers)