Re: Please show your support for the Haverstock Hill cycle lanes

seymour susan

Hello all,
 As I don't have occasion to use Haverstock Hill much, apart from directly crossing it to get to Finchley Road and points west, I made a couple of special trips to observe and see if I could add anything to the conversation. I have explored from the top of Pond Street to the railway bridge at Camden market both up and down twice at different times of day.

Firstly, yes, it is good that there is some protection, and I like the early release at several sets of traffic lights.
But, the inconsistency of provision is very confusing, unlikely to reassure inexperienced cyclists at all, and dangerous for pedestrians.

One big problem is cars and vans parking in the lanes where the wands give out, mainly on the downhilll side, eg. outside the Haverstock Tavern where it says loading bay there were 2 cars not visibly loading anything. And opposite Chalk Farm tube station just before the traffic lights a whole row of cars parked and no easy way out past the wands, see picture. It was also disconcerting to find scooters and cycles joining from side roads without looking for me. It's very hard to determine where the cycle lanes begin and end both at the top and the bottom. There is no provision or guidance for cyclists at all when going towards Hampstead at Chalk Farm tube station. At Prince of Wales Road, why can't the cycle traffic lights allow cyclists to go on up whenever the pedestrian crossing is on red? It's a T junction so motor vehicles are no danger at that point and side of the road.

Coming onto bus stops, as discussed on this thread, they are problematic because of the inconsistency which leaves everyone unsure what to expect. Down on Chalk Farm Road, there are several in both directions with the bike lane behind the bus shelter, which seem the best option to me. Where the cycle lane goes between the bus shelter and the bus, I find it OK if there is a paved island where passengers can wait and disembark, though there is still danger when they cross the cycle path. In other places there is no treatment at all, just the words BUS STOP painted on the road. The worst in my view is where the cycle lane has some white painted diagonals along half  its width at a bus stop. This is far too narrow for either passengers or cyclists. There is a particularly bad example going uphill opposite the Haverstock Tavern, see photo. This is the steepest part of the hill. A cyclist with any momentum at all will be very disinclined to stop. I found it hard to get going again after taking the photo. While I was there a person got off a bus, on the phone and not looking. The painted hatching is only about one footstep wide so they were instantly into the bike lane.

Less of a problem but there is more lack of consistency, some side roads have blue paint over the whole width, some only halfway and some not at all. These blue additions continue up towards the Pond St junction on a stretch where there is no other cycle provision.

Personally, I will continue to use back roads when going up to Hampstead village, Willow Road, Christchurch hill etc.

Best wishes

Susan Seymour

On Wed, 7 Sept 2022 at 11:51, Meade McCloughan <meademcc@...> wrote:
Have now done so.  Lots of "oppressed motorists"!  BTW the second 'photo in the Flickr stream should be captioned Eton Road (not Avenue).
Meade

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 10:31 AM Jean Dollimore <jean@...> wrote:
The cycle lanes on Haverstock Hill are almost complete and Camden Council is now collecting feedback via Commonplace.

If you haven’t yet been there to try them out, we have some photos here:

Please go here and give your positive response:

If you have time, please look at the comments from other people and say you ‘agree’ to comments put there by other supporters.