Re: Please show your support for the Haverstock Hill cycle lanes

John Chamberlain

Moy is right, this is the preferred solution, but unfortunately this requires space that is not available on some of Camden's roads without severely cutting back the footway. In this case the options are either a shared bus-boarder/cycle lane (as on the uphill side of Haverstock Hill), or a cycle lane that stops at the bus stop.

John

On 03/09/22 20:59, Moy El-Bushra via groups.io wrote:

Richard,

I'm not sure if you're aware of these, but there is already a solution to the issue of how to get cycle lanes to bypass bus stops - the cycle lane is diverted behind the bus stop, so cyclists are neither forced out into the traffic to get past a bus that's just pulled in, nor scrunched into the kerb by the bus because there's nowhere to go to the left (see attached photo).

Personally, I find these to be quite a good idea. Of course,  it can happen that a careless pedestrian steps into the cycle lane, but then that can happen anywhere.

And I think if there were more of these around, pedestrians would become more aware of the need to look first.

The problem is that they are not very commonly implemented, but I think they should become the norm.

Or is that you are aware of these, but you're suggesting that there are better solutions?

Kind regards,

Moy

On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 at 14:37, John Chamberlain
<john@...> wrote:

Richard's suggestion is pretty much what Camden have done on the downhill bus stops here (and in some other places where road space is very constrained). See

https://www.flickr.com/photos/camdencyclists/52287796633/in/album-72177720297763239/

The difference is that the route around the outside of the bus cage is not marked other than with a cycle logo (preferably more than one).

The difficulties I see with marking a lane are:

  1. The bus has to cross it to get into and out of the stop. Would buses always give way to cycles? If not, it might lead cyclists into a false sense of security.
  2. Likewise with regard to motor traffic coming from behind.
But I think it might be worth discussing with Camden officers, particularly as schemes come up to their annual review.

John Chamberlain

On 03/09/22 12:35, Richard Thomas wrote:
Hi Jean

Thanks for sharing these links.  I've supported on commonplace.

Does anyone know why this solution can't be trialled for bus stops to reduce risk of cyclist-pedestrian conflict?
 - Coloured tarmac cycling lane going round outside of bus cage, taking cyclists into traffic passing bus on outside but with clear lane priority.
 - Alternate advisory (dashed marking) cycle lane through bus cage.  Buses can stop in lane, but if no bus cyclist goes straight on unimpeded.

Advantages I perceive:
 - Cyclists not confident to move into traffic to pass a waiting bus would have to wait behind it, but that's what you need to do now because it is dangerous to pass bus on inside when passengers are getting on or off because they naturally step into cycle lane and in any case have zebra priority.
 - Cyclists wanting to pass bus on the outside would have road markings to show that they are entitled to do so (which they are already, but likely to suffer close pass or abuse).

Thanks for any comments
Richard

On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 at 10:31, Jean Dollimore <jean@...> wrote:
The cycle lanes on Haverstock Hill are almost complete and Camden Council is now collecting feedback via Commonplace.

If you haven’t yet been there to try them out, we have some photos here:

Please go here and give your positive response:

If you have time, please look at the comments from other people and say you ‘agree’ to comments put there by other supporters.