Re: Euston Road cycle tracks #space4cycling

Paul Gannon

I agree with what you & Mustafa say, however I'd recommend trying not to find it dispiriting. The cycle lobby in London has made tremendous strides in the past 5 years and these relatively minor setbacks should be seen in that context. It certainly is a shame to see such backward steps, but a continuous move forward is unlikely in a place as diverse as London with multiple power centres in govt, mayor, boroughs, political parties. I see it as you win some, you lose some. As long as we win more than we lose, progress is being made,
Paul

From: main@camdencyclists.groups.io <main@camdencyclists.groups.io> on behalf of Steven Edwards <stevenaedw@...>
Sent: 13 October 2020 12:34
To: main@camdencyclists.groups.io <main@camdencyclists.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [camdencyclists] Euston Road cycle tracks #space4cycling

In agreement there.

It might be said that even now, many schemes can still suffer from the same piecemeal approach
that has been to the detriment of several schemes for years.

Will Norman should really be on the case here for extending & expanding and making links.

A general rule of thumb ought to be NEVER to remove any  existing infra for cycling - just to improve it
by connecting it as Mustafa suggests, to exiting stuff elsewhere..

(ok..I know there are consultations for ETOs…but...).

We really have to keep up the pressure against single-occupancy/2 mile trips too.

Any removal of major schemes undermines the case for infra elsewhere & is hugely dis-spiriting.

Steven

On 12 Oct 2020, at 22:59, Mustafa Arif <mustafa@...> wrote:

they haven’t seen “the same high increases” is because it’s just an isolated stretch of cycle lane. They should have been bolder and continually extended it to cover a decent route – either an E-W corridor, linking up with ex