Re: Euston Road cycle tracks #space4cycling

Mustafa Arif

It’s extremely disappointing. Reasoning given by TfL from the article:

“We appreciate the challenges for buses and freight on Euston Road, which our lengthy monitoring of the area has highlighted. We have also not seen the same high increases in cycling on this stretch as in other areas.

A couple of things come to mind:

Firstly, is anyone aware of any data to support the “challenges for busses and freight” and, as John alludes, shouldn’t the current reallocation of space be used to get ready for the loss of capacity during the HS2 works?

Secondly, the reason they haven’t seen “the same high increases” is because it’s just an isolated stretch of cycle lane. They should have been bolder and continually extended it to cover a decent route – either an E-W corridor, linking up with existing superhighways, or else a continuous cycle lane along the “Inner Ring Road”. The Park Lane cycle lane referred to is vulnerable for exactly the same reason.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10