Re: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods are a lot like the indoor smoking bans of a decade or so ago

Tony Raven

I don’t.  Euston Road is by far my quickest way between KGX, EUS, MYB, PAD.  The alternatives you suggest are much slower and more tortuous to navigate than the Euston Road bus lanes.  So no thanks please.

Tony

From: <main@camdencyclists.groups.io> on behalf of "Paul Allen via groups.io" <paul_t_allen@...>
Reply to: <main@camdencyclists.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, 17 September 2020 at 18:31
To: <main@camdencyclists.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [camdencyclists] Low Traffic Neighbourhoods are a lot like the indoor smoking bans of a decade or so ago

I agree with regards Euston Road. It would be better to redirect cyclists to Tavistock, Torrington etc, but please can we have the link to Howland Street fixed (it's been out of action for a year now) and get Westminster to create as good a parallel extension to that route.

Finchley Road needs CS11 brought back to life (Westminster again!) and the dangerous Swiss Cottage gyratory removed - they are horrible for motorists as well, due to the stress of "crossing the streams".

BTW, I cycled along the new bus & cycle only lanes at Bishopsgate and New Oxford Street - they are too narrow creating unnecessary danger for cyclists.

Regards, Paul

On 17 Sep 2020, at 18:08, John Stewart <john.stewart@...> wrote:

Based on recent experience in Islington, beware poorly designed LTNs bringing out new opponents of bicycle friendly measures, including from bicyclists.

And the sooner the bicycle lanes on Euston Road are removed, the better for the future of bicycling in London – the extra pollution from taking away two lanes is terrible – and as a bicyclist I would never use Euston Road for that reason, and because there is too much traffic. 

John G Stewart
5 Alwyne Road
Canonbury, Islington
London N1 2HH
Home Telephone: 020 7359 4590
Mobile: 07841 112 094

Жизнь прожить – не поле перейти. [Life is not a walk across a field.]

– последняя линия «Гамлета», поэма Бориса Пастернака

[last line of “Hamlet”, a poem by Boris Pasternak, translated by Ann Pasternak Slater]

From: main@camdencyclists.groups.io <main@camdencyclists.groups.io> On Behalf Of George Coulouris via groups.io
Sent: 17 September 2020 17:49
To: main@camdencyclists.groups.io
Subject: Re: [camdencyclists] Low Traffic Neighbourhoods are a lot like the indoor smoking bans of a decade or so ago

I find myself agreeing with Adam’s perspective on LTNs. There is much more to say them, and we shall no doubt be doing so as and when Camden bring forward some specific schemes. For now, I’d like to add that if the introduction of LTNs can bring about a significant reduction in private car use, the time gained by all the remaining drivers due to reduced congestion on main roads may well balance the extra time they will have to spend driving longer routes 'around’ LTNs rather than through them.

Adam also raises the interesting topic of  20 mph speed limits in cities. Most Inner London boroughs have already adopted a borough-wide 20 mph limit (applying to all or nearly all the roads they manage) and TfL have announced that 20 will be the limit on red routes inside the London congestion zone. The introduction of those limits were predicated on the clear road safety evidence seem where they have been applied elsewhere and their safety outcome has been as expected.

That leaves 3 principal red routes in Camden without a 20 mph limit: Camden Road, Euston Road and Finchley Road, (Camden High Street and Camden Street are red routes but have already had 20 mph limits applied).

All 3 of those principal red routes are so very heavily congested throughout the working day that it is unrealistic for anyone to expect to gain the theoretical journey time reduction offered by travelling at 30 mph. So we are left with a possible ‘benefit’ for drivers using just 3 roads in Camden at unpopular times. I’d suggest that the loss in pedestrian safety and convenience and the reduction in air quality near those roads far outweighs that benefit.

George Coulouris

On 17 Sep 2020, at 10:33, Adam G <adamgagen@...> wrote:

I think we need to keep some nuance though.  I'm not against cars driving in cities above 20 MPH.  People need to move, and some vulnerable groups still find private transport as essential.  The key thing as that such traffic is on roads that are designed for them, to ensure good flow without negative impacts on other groups.  That is where LTNs come in, in my view.  It does not make sense for traffic to flow through residential roads which were never designed for such a load.  Residential neighbourhoods should be primarily for residents to live in - with road safety and clean air a right not an option. 

Join main@camdencyclists.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.