Re: Proposed Meeting with Daniel Glaser

Tony Raven

But what difference will it make?   Its already illegal under s105 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 to open, or cause or permit to be opened, any door of a vehicle on a road so as to injure or endanger any person.”   And s239 of the Highway Code already says  “you MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for cyclists or other traffic”

So if people are not getting prosecuted for not bothering to follow what’s already required by law, what difference is guidance on how they should open the door going to make?

Tony

From: <main@camdencyclists.groups.io> on behalf of David Lincoln <tpc2s@...>
Reply to: <main@camdencyclists.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 15:22
To: "main@camdencyclists.groups.io" <main@camdencyclists.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [camdencyclists] Proposed Meeting with Daniel Glaser

I saw this about the Dutch Reach which suggests it will be part of the Highway Code. I’m not sure if that happened/ will happen

On 23 Jun 2020, at 23:18, Steven Edwards <stevenaedw@...> wrote:

https://www.cyclinguk.org/dutchreach

Why do the Dutch Reach?

Every year, over 500 people across England, Wales and Scotland are injured because someone opens a car door into their path - and these are just the injuries which are reported to police - many more are never reported. If we want more people cycling more safely, we need everyone to make this simple technique an everyday habit. 

On 23 Jun 2020, at 17:33, Berwyn Rutherford <berwynr@...> wrote:

Would it be possible to have a campaign for drivers to open their car doors with their left hands so they see a cyclist approaching?. I think that drivers are encouraged to do that in Holland

Berwyn

From: main@camdencyclists.groups.io <main@camdencyclists.groups.io> on behalf of Steven Edwards <stevenaedw@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 9:01:09 AM
To: main@camdencyclists.groups.io <main@camdencyclists.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [camdencyclists] Proposed Meeting with Daniel Glaser

Wednesday early afternoon would suit me. 

Other days might be preferable.

Steven

On 22 Jun 2020, at 21:19, John Chamberlain <john@...> wrote:

Daniel was at our meeting last Monday. He was on the CCC committee for several years but stepped away for a while. At last week's meeting he expressed ideas on a number of topics including diversifying our network, Dr Bikes, buddy rides and publicising what we do, as well as some specifics on reducing traffic in Belsize Park. 

We thought we'd have a separate meeting with him to float some ideas and get some external stimulus. Would any other committee members be free to join us? We were planning on Wednesday afternoon or evening but if you'd like to join in but are not free then, suggest some other times and I'll do a Doodle poll.

It would be good to look outside our bubble a bit; I hope some of you can join us.

-- 

Regards

John

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join main@camdencyclists.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.