Re: [CCC] The Brexiters' dream is a post-Imperal delusion: A Vole's perspective

Ross Corben <rc015g2947@...>

schemes may take more to implement as eastern Europeans un-come over here and un-take jobs that Brits wouldn’t do without being paid more if we dont have an MP vote about ignoring the referendum (which was 50:50 near as damn it, should have a ‘leave a bit’) or another one in the next 3 months, depending on who’s left in the Commons from Monday onwards

Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2016 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [CCC] The Brexiters' dream is a post-Imperal delusion: A Vole's perspective

Difficult to say re influence of free movement generally, but we certainly wouldn't have had Royal College Street & Tavistock Place without the earlier more restricted version of movement of labour in EC in 1980s.

Regarding the effect of the Out vote on prospects for cycle campaigning, I fear that all things European will become undesirable objects for politicians of any level to propose as a 'we'll do it our way' mentality will probably set in. Using terms like Go Dutch or Mini-Holland may not not be the best strategy in the immediate future.

On a general point, this is probably not the end of the matter as there may well be a powerful case for a referendum to ratify or reject the negotiated EU exit agreement when a lot more detail of what it entails will be available.

Paul

From: CamdenCyclingCampaign@... <CamdenCyclingCampaign@...> on behalf of Steven Edwards stevenaedwards@... [CamdenCyclingCampaign]
Sent: 22 June 2016 21:02
To: Camden Cycling Campaign
Subject: [CCC] The Brexiters' dream is a post-Imperal delusion: A Vole's perspective

Mostly about cycling in the
"Biking Borough"of Brent
and elsewhere in London,
but also touching on
environment, politics,

philosophy, science,
society, music and art

As we draw to the end of this very unpleasant referendum campaign, it is worth, I think, recalling why we are where we are. It essentially goes back (as do so many things in modern Britain) to Mrs Thatcher. It was her volte-face on Europe that split the Conservative Party, the split that ultimately led this referendum to be called. After being strongly pro-European in the early part of her premiership, continuing the tradition of pervious Conservative leaders (including Edward Heath, who took the UK into the EEC, as it then was), including signing the Single European Act (the Luxembourg Treaty) in 1986, which gave the first real powers to the European parliament, she did a 180 degree turn on the subject for reasons best known to herself. Half the Conservative Party follwed her, and half continued allegiance to the older conservative pro-Europe line. The next leader, John Major, was bedevilled with this problem, and could not solve it, though he got the Maastricht Treaty, which created the modern EU, through. David Cameron's solution to this same, ongoing problem of the bitterly-divided Tory party was to call this referendum. The nation overall did not want it: it is important for our European friends to understand this.

…..

For cycling, the usual topic of this blog, the freedom of movement we have enjoyed since EU accession I am convinced has contributed to the cultural and information-exchange process that has allowed us to reach the point of importing some of the best pro-cycling policies Europe has produced into at least some British cities. For example, if we hant't had freedom of movement, would the Hembrows have settled down in Assen and provided us with the information and cross-cultural Dutch translation that we needed for the Go Dutch campaign in London? Such questions are unanswerable, and I need to get this blogpost out in time to make, I hope, one or two undecided voters to think in some new ways.

[category Other News]

Join main@camdencyclists.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.