Re: [CCC] Re: Enforcement of 20mph in April

Tony Raven

Yes I do have lights at night because its the law (and I think Ross was talking about daytime too also when my lights would make no difference as I don't switch them on then).    But hi-viz is not a legal requirement and I would ask you also what is your evidence, other than proof by assertion, that it makes any difference?   As I've said the French made hi-viz mandatory at night and in poor visibility but the impact on their accident statistics was imperceptable.

Why am I labouring this point?   Because the more we make cycling seem like a high risk activity requiring personal armour and special clothing to protect you from clear and present threats to life rather than as the Dutch do, something that is a safe part of everyday activity in normal clothes, the more we encourage the view that it must be dangerous and "not for me".

Tony

On 26/11/2013 09:55, david.scollan@... wrote:

Tony

You may not wear hi viz but I presume you have lights at night and cycle carefully. I think that’s why you haven’t been hit, not the lack of hi viz.

I think most people would agree that winter nights, dark clothes and no lights is a bad combination.

Regards

DS